Oak Hill United Methodist Church
Sunday, August 20, 2017
Sharing Christ's Love With All

History

It is our understanding that Oak Hill Methodist Church was initially organized at the turn of the 20th century, in approximately 1900.

 

Religious services leading up to the actual organization of Oak Hill Church began with prayer meetings and preaching in someone’s home.  Mr. and Mrs. William McKinney had a large kitchen where 75 – 100 people could be seated and this room was fitted with temporary seats.

 

Next a log cabin on McKinney Road was established for worship services and later the Oak Hill County School building was used by church members.  This school building was located just below where the church now stands.

 

Later the people decided to build a church.  A building committee was appointed and plans were made for a one-room building.  It was to be lathed and plastered on the inside and lathed and pebble-dashed on the outside, with a vestibule, belfry and steeple in front.  Church members donated most of the material and labor.  The first service in the church was held on Christmas Eve of 1906.  A week later, by January 1, 1907, all bills had been settled and Oak Hill community had a new church building, free of debt, and ready for dedication.  The sanctuary of this building was enlarged years later and six rooms added to it in the back, and for approximately 50 years it housed the Oak Hill congregation.

 

Feeling the need for a larger building and better facilities, the church membership decided to build a new church.  Under the leadership and pastorate of Rev. Vernon Hall, the present Educational Building was completed in 1955 and the new Sanctuary in 1958, free of all indebtedness.  In fact, there was enough money to purchase three or four more acres of land across the road to be used for the church’s cemetery.  Improvements have been made throughout this building’s history.  An organ was installed, as was a new heating system, carpeting and a ramp.  The new fellowship hall was completed, pews were cushioned, and many other improvements and furnishings in the kitchen and fellowship halls were done along with paving around the church.

 

During the early years of the church, the local preachers were Rev. Jim Crook, Rev. Joe Hawkins, and Rev. Alfred Starnes.

 

For years, when the church was on a charge with other churches, preaching services were usually held only once a month.  Therefore, the Sunday School was the real spiritual power in the community.